Upcoming Events

National | Environment

no events match your query!

Blog Feeds

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Promoting Human Rights in Ireland

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link Vegan Activist Almost Kills Stolen Lamb After Attempt to Hand-Rear It Thu Apr 03, 2025 19:00 | Will Jones
A vegan activist who stole a lamb from a farm and almost killed it with her botched attempts to hand-rear it has been sentenced to a 12-month community order and banned from owning?sheep.
The post Vegan Activist Almost Kills Stolen Lamb After Attempt to Hand-Rear It appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Female Fencer Takes a Knee and Refuses to Fight Transgender Opponent as She Tells Ref: ?I Will Not F... Thu Apr 03, 2025 17:00 | Will Jones
A female fencer was disqualified from her tournament after taking a knee and refusing to compete against a?transgender?opponent, telling the referee: "I will not fence against a man."
The post Female Fencer Takes a Knee and Refuses to Fight Transgender Opponent as She Tells Ref: “I Will Not Fence Against a Man” appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link David Lammy Spends Over ?1 Million on Private Jets in Three Months Thu Apr 03, 2025 15:24 | Will Jones
David Lammy has spent more than ?1 million on?private jets?in just three months despite Labour?s vow to crack down on expensive ministerial flights and the Government's Net Zero fanaticism.
The post David Lammy Spends Over ?1 Million on Private Jets in Three Months appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Elon Musk Says Reports of Him Quitting DOGE Are ?Fake News? Thu Apr 03, 2025 13:00 | Will Jones
Elon Musk has said that reports of him quitting DOGE ? a claim put out yesterday by Politico ? are "fake news" as officials say he's going nowhere until his "incredible" work is finished.
The post Elon Musk Says Reports of Him Quitting DOGE Are “Fake News” appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Rich Should Fly Less so Poor Families Can Still Take Summer Holidays, Says Climate Change Committee ... Thu Apr 03, 2025 11:00 | Will Jones
Richer people should be made to fly less so poorer families can holiday without worsening Britain?s carbon footprint, Emma Pinchbeck, the Chief Executive of the Climate Change Committee, has said.
The post Rich Should Fly Less so Poor Families Can Still Take Summer Holidays, Says Climate Change Committee Head appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Voltaire Network
Voltaire, international edition

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?126 Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:39 | en

offsite link The International Conference on Combating Anti-Semitism by Amichai Chikli and Na... Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:31 | en

offsite link Western Europeans Deprived of Defense, by Thierry Meyssan Tue Mar 25, 2025 06:04 | en

offsite link The Arab-Islamic Committee and the War in Palestine Sun Mar 23, 2025 11:32 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?125 Fri Mar 21, 2025 11:48 | en

Voltaire Network >>

€108m Bord na Mona rehabilitation questioned in East Galway bog video

category national | environment | press release author Monday June 06, 2022 23:25author by foie - Friends of the Irish Environment Report this post to the editors

Press Release - Friends of the Irish Environment - 3rd June 2022

Video urges Bord na Mona to ‘do better’ on bog restoration
€108m Bord na Mona rehabilitation questioned in East Galway bog video

A video of a bog restored last year by Bord na Móna in East Galway published by the environmental defenders Friends of the Irish Environment [FIE] urges Bord na Móna to ‘Do Better’ in its bog restoration program.

Bord na Móna was given €108m in November 2020 for 'Restoring Raised Bogs for a Greener Future' program. The site in East Galway in the video is part of the 7, 200 hectares that Bord na Móna claims to have restored. The scheme will cover an area of approximately 33,000 hectares of Bord Na Móna peatlands previously harvested for peat extraction for electricity generation and create 310 jobs.

The video of a bog near Clonfort in East Galway shows a landscape ‘more like Africa’s Sahel than Ireland’ and photographs drainage pipes ‘sticking up like chimneys’, eroding banks, and unconnected pipes. The video also highlights deep water easily accessible beside the road which local fear may lead to drownings in the summer. There are no warning signs and no safety equipment, according to the video.

While Bord na Mona’s remit for this project includes ‘more intensive management of water levels through drain-blocking and bunding’ and ‘re-profiling that will deliver suitable hydrological conditions for development of wetlands, fens and bog habitats’, ‘the video appears to paint a very different picture’, according to FIE.

In an introduction to the video released today on Facebook, FIE said it is expanding its monitoring with drone investigations of ‘what appears to be wide-spread engineering incompetence, sub-standard workmanship and dangers to the public’.

The 108m scheme is administered by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC) and regulated by the newly funded National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). A notice on the Government’s website announcing the scheme said ‘It will involve many other diverse stakeholders including Bord na Móna, the EPA, relevant NGOs, local authorities, representative organisations and importantly, the local community.’

FIE is appealing to communities in the midlands to report similar failures in rehabilitation on their website Hotline.

ENDS

Contact: Tony Lowes, 353 (0)87 2176316 / 353 (0)27 74771

Video DO BETTER BORD NA MONA:
https://youtu.be/l7GxXlfLTSE

Government Announcement of Scheme
https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/136a7-bord-na-mona-bog-rehabilitation-scheme/

This Press release
https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/press-releases/18179-video-urges-bord-na-mona-to-do-better-on-bog-restoration

© 2001-2025 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy